Saturday, October 27, 2012

Uhm, sorry to bother...maybe this is a bad time but...

Yes. Absolutely. Rape is horrible and vile. Yes, absolutely, victims of near all-consuming hate such as that have every right to abort a child produced from it. I'll back you up completely on that one- I'll wave signs, walk parades, wear buttons, reblog repost retweet- anything to fight for a woman's right to govern her own body in any way she sees fit.

 Anything... but think outside your pain and outrage for just a few minutes.

  Before you start carelessly throwing around words like "monster spawn" or "rape baby" I want you to consider another angle. Because these children are worth your consideration.
  I'm not saying that, if raped, you should keep the child. That's a decision that should always be up to the woman faced with it, no one else. But I am saying that sometimes, if you can look past the horrific conception, you might see your daughter or son, worthy of your love. Not just a product of "damaged DNA".
  If we truly are to be in control of our own bodies then we need to acknowledge that the child, any child, growing inside belongs to us- or would you allow the man who raped you take that as well?
  I didn't used to feel this way. After I found out about my conception I went through a long period of self loathing. For years (long, gothy years full of black eyeliner and -possibly- too much Morrissey) I wished my mother had decided to have an abortion. Sometimes I wondered if I might turn out like him; twisted, broken, hurtful. I knew I looked like him because I didn't look like my mother. I hated the very idea.
  Mother never allowed it to color how she felt about me. She was strong enough to love me unconditionally. When she looked at me she saw her daughter- even when I was a horrible, selfish, spiteful teenager I was her horrible, selfish, spiteful teenager. Behaving like a teenager, not a teenager going through early warning rapist personality issues. I wasn't a constant reminder of a terrible act but a source of love and joy as are all children, no matter the origin.

  In time I learned to share her views on the matter...mostly.

  But it's still a sensitive issue for me. I understand that some people can't get past the ugliness of rape, that it's something you carry with you for the rest of your life and that they feel a child born of such is a nightmarish souvenir. That the casual way some politicians bandy back and forth rape labeling and women's rights is atrocious, insensitive, caustic to our nation's basic freedom. I can't argue with that. I wouldn't.
  But as you rage your defiance against the violations our government tries to lay upon your body please remember that there are those of us out here that feel the bite of your words.
  Strongly.

No comments:

Post a Comment